Borrachón vs borrachín

Ask or Answer questions about Spanish Grammar.
Luis Ramos
Borrachón vs borrachín

Mensaje por Luis Ramos » Julio 26, 2017, 10:03 am

I heard from neighbors, and movies translated into Spanish, as well as some movies from Hispanic countries use both words interchangeably. Now for the life of me I cannot find an online dictionary with the word "borrachón." Does that mean it was wrong? If so, learn something new every day! What do you think?

Spanish Teacher
Contactar:

Re: Borrachón vs borrachín

Mensaje por Spanish Teacher » Noviembre 1, 2017, 11:29 pm

¡Hola!

It is very common to use diminutive form of a verb to say the same but nicer. And we usually use the opposite form(augmentative?)for saying something in a derogatory way. But that's not a rule, because we use many different ways of a verb that don't appear in dictionaries.

Examples:

Casa(house) Casita(little house) (Casota(big house) Casucha(derogatory way)

In this case, "casota" is used with admiration when your house is "amazing, awesome, great, etc".

But, again, if we say "Está bonita tu casita"(Your little house is nice),it is also for something good.

Here in Mexico, we use those endings indistinticly. It will depend on the context, your tone of voice, and the region you live, and a large etcetera.

Here "borrachón" could be "derogatory way" but also nice: "Eres el mas borrachon"=your are the most powerful drinker(or drunk, I'dont know how best to say it in English).

So, don't worry about regional expressions, for all life, it is better to use "standard language" like in the news, media, etc.

Greetings from Puebla!

Última reactivación por Anonymous en Noviembre 1, 2017, 11:29 pm

Responder